Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Component Service problem
RocknRollTim Offline

Component Service problem
Hi there,

Please could somebody help me with this problem. Basically when I open FileDirector WinClient 3.0 on some of our Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 machines I get the following message "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at DSDMS.FileDirector.Client.QuickStartControl.Init(Config MainConfig, BarButtonItem DropDownButton) at DSDMS.FileDirector.Client.MainCtrlBar..ctor(Config config) at DSDMS.FileDirector.Client.MainCtrl..ctor() at DSDMS.FileDirector.Client.Host.Main.Main()", I click OK and the program terminates, please could you tell me what this means and how I go about rectifying this issue. The only way I can prevent this issue from occurring is by uninstalling FileDirector Component Service which isn't really ideal as we want to integrate office integration across the network. The FDDL commands also don't work properly when clicking on a custom button in our bespoke system which normally initiates the program with displaying the clients scanned documents, now it only initiates the program and have to enter the client's reference in order to bring up their scanned documents. Computers that don't have the problems are ones with Windows XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Professional x86 SP1 along with some computers that have Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 installed. We used to be previously on FileDirector 2.5 but even then the same occurred with the same machines except the FDDL commands worked. Your help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

RocknRollTim
09-01-2014 10:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ECMGuru Offline
Administrator

RE: Component Service problem
Hi RocknRollTim,

welcome to this forum!

I think this could be best handled by the Support team. Please contact the Support team and try to provide as much information as you can get.

Many thanks,
DMSGuru
09-02-2014 09:16 AM
RocknRollTim Offline

Question RE: Component Service problem
Hi DMSGuru,

I'm in the process of liasing with the email support staff about the this issue I posted on the forum, I'll keep on communicating with them via email until we've come to a solution, I only posted these issues on the forum to see whether anybody else has encountered these issues and whether anyone knew of any suggestions to resolve these issues. Thank you for your help and thank you for your greeting.

Many thanks,

RocknRollTim
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 07:36 PM by RocknRollTim.)
09-02-2014 01:26 PM
RocknRollTim Offline

RE: Component Service problem
(09-02-2014 01:26 PM)RocknRollTim Wrote:  Hi DMSGuru,

I'm in the process of liasing with the email support staff about the this issue I posted on the forum, I'll keep on communicating with them via email until we've come to a solution, I only posted these issues on the forum to see whether anybody else has encountered these issues and whether anyone knew of any suggestions to resolve these issues. Thank you for your help and thank you for your greeting.

Many thanks,

RocknRollTim

After many months of establishing the cause of FileDirector Component Services both with the email support staff and months of testing I have finally found the culprit and found that it was our package for Office 2010 Professional Plus causing the problem. The package for Office 2010 Professional Plus by default only installs Word, Excel, Outlook and Access which isn’t enough for FileDirector Component Services to function properly in which I had to modify the Office installation on each PC to run all components for Office 2010 Professional Plus, I could have installed all components for Office 2010 Professional Plus as well as leaving them to run but my IT Manager said that we only allow for the installation of Word, Excel, Outlook and Access for easy maintenance i.e. especially for Windows updates and to only install the rest of the programs if needed as we mainly use Word, Excel, Outlook and Access out of the Office package for most of the time, so my theories about the order in which the programs have to be installed in and the type of package to install the FileDirector components i.e. EXE or MSI are totally irrelevant as well as re-registering .ocx and .dll files related to our bespoke system as well as Office, FileDirector WinClient and FileDirector Component Services. The solution only came to light when I temporarily removed Office 2010 off one of my PCs using Programs and Features as well as the Office FixIt Tool.

I thought I would post youse my results of how I was getting on with getting FileDirector Component Services to work properly and for anyone who is having a similar problem with getting FileDirector Component Services to work with FileDirector WinClient can refer to this thread for help.

Lastly I would like to say thank you to both DMSGuru and the email support team for assisting with my case.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim
09-13-2015 01:37 PM