Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Troubleshooting information for installing FileDirector Component Service
RocknRollTim Offline

Information Troubleshooting information for installing FileDirector Component Service
Hi there,

As some of you may have stumbled across this problem whilst installing FileDirector Component Service I thought I would share this with you just in case you and other users stumble across this problem too. The troubleshooting information in this thread is for users who have Windows 7 machines and are trying to install FileDirector Component Service from a UNC server path and get the following message whilst trying to install FileDirector Component Service "The advertised application will not be installed because it might be unsafe. Contact your administrator to change the installation user interface option of the package to basic." Below are instructions on how to bypass this problem.

Open Command Prompt and elevate as network administrator

Enter: pushd \\<server name>\UNC path>\

This will create a temporary virtual drive to the UNC path.

Note: You can only go as far back to the folder closet to the root directory of the share.

You should now get the following prompt Z:\UNC path>\

Note: Windows sets Z as the default drive letter for a temporary virtual drive and can be amended, this can be Googled using the Internet.

Enter: cd <folder name> or cd z:\<folder name>\<folder name>\<folder name>\<folder name>\<folder name> without having to repeat cd <folder name> in order to navigate to the folder containing the .msi for FileDirector Component Service.

Notes: Folder and file names containing spaces will need to enclosed with quotes when in a filepath i.e. cd "<folder name> or cd "z:\<folder name>\<folder name>\<folder name>\<folder name>\<folder name>. Also dir can be used to help skim contents of folders in order to find the .msi for installing FileDirector Component Service i.e. z:\<folder name>\<folder name>\<folder name>\<folder name>\<folder name>dir.

Once in the folder containing the .msi, enter msiexec /i "FileDirector Component Service.msi" /qb.

This will install the FileDirector Component Service silently i.e. the installation wizard will appear for as long as it needs before disappearing afterwards indicating that the installation has completed properly.

To confirm this go to Programs and Features and you'll see FileDirector Component Service.

Once you have done this, terminate the temporary virtual drive using popd \\<servername>\<filepath> in the Command Prompt just for good measure and close it. Make sure when you perform this command and initiate it from the root directory of the computer i.e. z:\<folder name>\<folder name>\<folder name>\<folder name>\<folder name>c: then c:\popd \\<servername>\<filepath> before exiting.

Also when performing this procedure, it maybe a good idea to temporarily disable the anti-virus software on the machine and re-enabling it afterwards, again just for good measure.

Please feel free to post any information you feel is necessary relating to the issues I have mentioned in any of the threads on the forum and feel free to ask any questions.

Regards,

RocknRollTim
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 03:09 PM by RocknRollTim.)
09-06-2014 03:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply